The new year is fast approaching and I’m not sure that I’m quite ready for it. 2011 was a rough year full of serious ups (wedding, starting this blog) and downs (stress fracture, surgery) and while I am very excited about 2012, I’m not sure that I’m ready for 2011 to end. It seems like this year flew by and that I haven’t had a moment to soak it all in. On top of that, there have been some huge changes the past few months:
1. I got married!
2. I lost 25 lbs
3. The husband got a new job with a new, higher-up position
4. We are preparing for some big changes in the next year (No, not babies. Definitely not babies.)
5. I’ve had to do some serious career contemplation that has led me in several different directions.
6. My parent’s are selling their home to move in to a new place (hopefully closer to us!)
7. My brother moved out on his own to his first apartment.
While I have been prepared and ready for all of these things for a while, I was not fully prepared for my brother moving into his first apartment. I’m so excited for him and this next chapter in his life but I can’t help but have a bittersweet feeling. My brother and I are 4 years, 11 months, and 29 days apart (almost made it to five years!) so we have been fairly close our entire lives. I have a hard time remembering that he is indeed 18 years old and can drive, live on his own, and do adult things. To me, he will always be in fourth grade.
Now, I’m sure you’re wondering what my little brother has to do with muffins and why in the world I titled this post “Dirty D’s Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins”. Let me explain. When my brother was really little, I don’t even remember how old now, we were watching a live ACDC concert on TV with my parents. Yes, as a little kid I loved bands like ACDC, Sublime, Black Flag, and others – but that’s a different story entirely. Anyways – we were watching the concert and the band began to play “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap”. My brother was loving the song and decided to try and sing along while attempting some serious Angus Young kicks. When the chorus came, instead of singing “dirty deeds done dirt cheap”, he sang out “dirty d’s chocolate chip!”. All of us rolled with laughter and to this day, every time I hear that song, I secretly sing the “chocolate chip” version in my head.
When I was thinking up a treat to bring to my brother as a housewarming gift, I could think of nothing more perfect than bringing back that memory in the form of a chocolate chip muffin. While I may not be ready for the year to end or for my little brother to grow up, I’m excited for the future and can’t wait to see what the year ahead has to offer. I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year and that you enjoy the present moment as you look forward to the future.
Yields: 15-18 muffins depending on size
Adapted from: Women’s Health Magazine
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ cup ground flax seed
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup plain greek yogurt
¼ cup canola oil or other light tasting oil
¼ cup honey
½ cup chocolate chips (dark, bittersweet, or semisweet)
1. Preheat your oven to 375F. Spray your muffin tin with cooking spray or line with muffin liners. Set aside.
2. Combine dry ingredients (first 5 ingredients) in a large bowl and whisk together.
3. In a separate bowl combine remaining ingredients, minus the chocolate chips, and whisk together until fully incorporated.
4. Add dry mixture to the wet mixture in three batches, whisking to fully incorporate between each addition.
5. Gently fold chocolate chips in to the batter.
6. Divide batter among muffin tins filling between ½ and 2/3 of the way full.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating pan half way through, until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Let muffins sit in the hot baking pan for 2 minutes then gently remove and cool completely on a cooling rack.