Today, July 10 is Brad’s birthday!!!! So first and foremost, happy birthday to my wonderful, talented, loving future husband. You’re the best!
Since Brad is the birthday boy, he got to pick what type of cake he wanted me to make him. His choice? Mint chocolate ice cream cake.
I’ve always wanted to make ice cream cake but was convinced that it would be pretty impossible. Ice cream cake is one of my absolute favorite desserts and I haven’t had it since going gluten-free over a year ago. I’m so glad I finally found an easy way to make this festive dessert.
And the best part? You can make this any way you want – use your favorite cupcake recipe, your favorite ice cream, and your favorite frosting. Check out this post by Joy the Baker and this post by Annie over at Annie’s Eats for more ideas!
Here is what you do:
1. Make your cupcakes. I made my chocolate cupcakes . Bake cupcakes without liners (be sure to use some nonstick spray in your cupcake pan!) and let your cupcakes cool completely. Then pop them in the freezer for 2 hours to overnight.
2. Cut your frozen cupcakes in half. Place bottom half back in the cupcake pan.
3. Get your ice cream ready! You can make your own or buy some (I bought mint chocolate chip ice cream from Bev’s because it is so amazingly good). Let it sit out for a few minutes so that is really soft and spreadable.
4. Spread ice cream on bottom half of cupcake in pan. Then put the top of the cupcake back on and gently press down. These goes back in the freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight.
5. When they’re good and frozen frost them with whatever you like! Be quick about this though – they get warm fast. I used some whipped ganache. Keep in the freezer until you are ready to serve – then dig in!
Next week I will be make with more recipes, it’s just been a bit crazy this week. Now, I must get ready for Brad’s birthday dinner!