This post will be short and sweet since the last post was so long! Today we are making…..
Now, I bet you’re thinking: Oh fantastic. A dumb, thin, flavorless, dry as a rock, crumbly bean burger.
I’m here to tell you that you are dead wrong on this one. This bean burger has flavor, is moist, and is hearty and satisfying. None of that hockeypuck-drier-than-the Sahara stuff here. Now don’t get me wrong, I love a good juicy moo cow burger every once and awhile. And usually, that’s what I make. But I made this burger because 1.) I have an abundance of beans and quinoa right now and 2.) It’s fast, easy, and cheap!
This recipe comes together in no time if you cook the quinoa and beans the day before. I usually make a very large batch of beans and grains at the beginning of the week to use for fast dinners and even faster lunches. The beauty of this recipe is that you can mix in whatever spices you want – this is just a very basic guide.
Vegan, Gfree Bean Burgers
Yields: approx. 6 good sized burgers
1 cup of cooked beans (I used adzuki beans because they are what I had this week!)
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 onion, diced
2 gloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt + pepper to taste
Note: You will need a food processor. If you don’t have one, just finely mince the onion and garlic (or grate it) and get mashing!
1. Line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Put beans, garlic, onion, and spices into your food processor. Process for a minute or so until the mixture comes together and is slightly paste like.
3. Transfer mix to a large bowl. Add in quinoa and buckwheat flour. Mix until it is thoroughly combined.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Divide mixture into six medium-sized pieces. Roll into balls and flatten into thick patties.
6. Bake at 325F for 30 minutes, flipping half way through.
7. Once your burgers are pre-baked, lightly grease a non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Cook patties over fairly high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.